Get Kids Moving and Ready to Learn!
How can you bring the benefits of yoga to students, when your school simply doesn’t have enough space? Chair yoga makes it possible. In this experiential online course The School Yoga Project Director Mayuri Gonzalez teaches simple and effective chair-based practices you can immediately bring to students, incorporating movement, breathing, mindfulness and relaxation. Includes a wealth of take-away resources to support your learning and implementation, plus bonus tools to deepen your personal practice.
- What: Engaging online instruction in 4 sessions (6 hours total) + course materials
- When: Anytime you want! Learn from home at your own pace, but if you have questions join us for occasional “live” online Q&A sessions with the instructor. All participants will receive invitations as these calls are scheduled
- Tuition: $145
- Who: This course is best suited for classroom teachers, school based clinicians, yoga instructors and mindfulness educators. All others who work with children are welcome to join (including parents).
WHY CHAIR YOGA?
Children today sit still for developmentally inappropriate periods of time. Many schools are increasing rigor and standardized tests, while decreasing time for physical education. In addition, many schools lack space for activities like yoga, and transitioning students in and out of classrooms can be time consuming and complicated.
Chair yoga is an effective and sustainable way to bring daily yoga practice to children and adolescents in a classroom setting, without the need for additional space or yoga mats.
AFTER COMPLETION, YOU’LL BE READY TO
- Create and implement chair yoga sequences to meet the needs of children and adolescents.
- Teach a variety of yoga poses, breath work, mindfulness and relaxation practices to students seated in chairs or using chairs as supports.
- Understand how movement connects to learning, and how chair yoga powerfully compliments mindfulness programs, providing meaningful benefits and engaging experiences for students.
- Implement strategies that support both student and teacher self-care and wellness.
- Articulate the benefits of chair yoga to a school.
- 6 hours of engaging online instruction
- 70-page manual featuring 65+ chair yoga poses and activities
- Sample class sequences
- Chair yoga class planning templates
- 3 personal practice videos
- 3 audio recordings for personal practice
- Log sheets for personal practice
Week 1: Understanding the Value of Mindful Movement in School and Clinical Settings
Week 2: Targeting Body Parts That Suffer from Prolonged Sitting
Week 3: Fostering Dynamic Chair Yoga Experiences: Integrating Breathing and Mindfulness Activities
Week 4: Getting Creative: Fostering Restorative and Restful Experiences in the Chair
*This course is eligible for 6 Yoga Alliance CE hours
Meet Your Trainer:
Mayuri Gonzalez, LFY’s School Yoga Project Director, is a nationally recognized presenter, trainer and instructor in mindfulness and children’s yoga with over 25 years of practice. In her role with LFY, Mayuri trains and mentors teachers, counselors and school support staff. She is a contributing author to Best Practices for Yoga in Schools, and a presenter for PESI, offering continuing education to educators and health care providers.Read More