- This event has passed.
Using Music and Movement to Teach Mindfulness to Pre-K and K Students
We think of yoga and mindfulness as still and quiet; but for kids, this is just a part of what mindfulness practices look like. Kids learn to be aware of themselves, others, and the world around them through games, songs, movement, play, and of course, by practicing stillness again and again.
Making mindfulness engaging and relevant for our youngest students can be a challenge if we don’t have some tricks up our sleeve.
Movement and music are powerful tools to engage young students that ignite all areas of child development and build skills for school readiness: intellectual, social and emotional, motor, language, and overall literacy.
When we engage with music and engaging movement, it helps the body and the mind work together while providing an outstanding opportunity for children to connect as a group and express themselves non-verbally.
For the last seven years, School Yoga ProjectThe School Yoga Project Director Mayuri Gonzalez has taught mindfulness and yoga for Little Flower Yoga to our youngest students, ages 2-6. Join her for this interactive webinar where you will:
- Understand why movement and song are potent tools for connection and engagement for young students.
- Learn chants and activity songs to support self-awareness, social connection, and compassion in your classes
- Explore practical ways to help pre-k & early elementary students develop self-awareness of their body in developmentally appropriate ways.
- Investigate fun ways to use gestures, sign-language, and non-verbal communication in your classes to keep students engaged, help them to integrate critical ideas, and develop fine motor skills.
Meet Your Trainer:
Mayuri Gonzalez, LFY’s School Yoga Project Director, is a nationally recognized presenter, trainer and instructor in mindfulness and children’s yoga with over 25 years of practice. In her role with LFY, Mayuri trains and mentors teachers, counselors and school support staff. She is a contributing author to Best Practices for Yoga in Schools, and a presenter for PESI, offering continuing education to educators and health care providers.Read More
7:30 PM - 9:00 PM
Apr 4, 2019
This live webinar takes place from 7:30-9:00pm EST.
This is an interactive format where participants will be able to ask questions through the course.
If you cannot join live, not to worry. All participants will have access to the recorded version of the webinar and all materials.
- Online Learning
- Join us for online learning opportunities including self-paced and live-stream interactive trainings, workshops and webinars.
Learn from your own home, at the pace that is right for you!
Teacher: Jennifer Cohen Harper