- This event has passed.
Teaching Trauma-Informed Yoga for Children
Childhood trauma is common, and often invisible. If we are teaching kids in schools, studios or community spaces, we are teaching to trauma survivors even if we aren’t aware of it.
Effectively supporting all of our students means becoming aware of trauma’s impact, cultivating safer teaching practices, and learning how to offer yoga and mindfulness activities in ways that maximize the capacity for healing.
Without an understanding of trauma sensitive teaching, we are at risk of doing harm as we share embodiment and mindfulness practices in ways that may be triggering, disempowering, or create shame. Trauma lives in the body, and helping our students and clients connect with and trust their own body after trauma must be done skillfully.
Join Little Flower Yoga founder Jennifer Cohen Harper for this livestream online course, where you will:
- Gain a greater understanding of the phyisological and neurological effects of trauma, the relationship between trauma and behavior, and learn how yoga and mindfulness practices can support healing and boost protective factors.
- Explore how we can help those who are recovering from or experiencing trauma build an increased sense of safety in their body.
- Learn to build children’s resilience, to help students navigate and better recover from difficult situations that may arise in the future.
Jennifer has been teaching trauma informed yoga and mindfulness to children in schools and other public spaces for more than 15 years, and leading continuing education courses for clinicians interested in incorporating movement and mindfulness into treatment since 2012. As a founding member of the Yoga Service Council she has been at the forefront of working to bring trauma awareness into yoga education, and her written work includes contribuition to the recently published Yoga and Resilience: Empowering Practices for Survivors of Sexual Trauma.
This course can be taken on its own by yoga and mindfulness instructors, classroom teachers, health care professionals, caregivers and anyone else who works with children and teens. It is also a required component of Little Flower Yoga and Mindfulness Teacher Training Certification. If you have any questions about whether this workshop is appropriate for you, please reach out for guidance.
- This course is best suited for yoga and mindfulness instructors, classroom teachers, and clinicians. All others who work with children are welcome to join, and parents or caregivers interested in supporting their own children with yoga and mindfulness tools are also welcome.
Meet Your Trainer:
Jennifer Cohen Harper
LFY Founder Jennifer Cohen Harper is an educator, author, public speaker and mother, who works to support all children and teens in the development of strong inner resources through the tools of yoga and mindfulness. Her goal is to help kids, and those who care for them, thrive in the world regardless of circumstances, and navigate the many challenges they face with a sense of personal power and self-awareness.Read More
This is a self-paced online workshop hosted on Yoga International’s website. You will create a separate account on their website to access the workshop.
Start anytime, and learn from home at a pace that works for you. Access does not expire.
- Online Learning
- Join us for online learning opportunities including self-paced and live-stream interactive trainings, workshops and webinars.
Learn from your own home, at the pace that is right for you!
Teacher: Jennifer Cohen Harper
Teacher: Jennifer Cohen Harper